You may have heard of search engine optimization (SEO) in terms of a website, but did you know that SEO can play a significant impact on your social media strategy as well? Keep reading to learn what Social Media SEO is and how you can utilize it to optimize your profiles!
What Is Social Media SEO?
Social media SEO can be looked at in two ways. One is ways to optimize your social media presence to increase search visibility when using a search engine like Google or Bing. If someone searches for your social media profiles on a search engine you want to make sure your accounts are showing up at the top of the page.
Social media platforms also serve as a type of search engine. Social media platforms offer search features that help you find content depending on the keywords you input. There are a few steps you can take to help make your posts easier to find through the search bar on the platform, and your profile easier to find on website search engines.
Increase the Visibility of Your Profile & Posts:
- Complete Your Profiles – Make sure all of your social media profiles are fully filled out, utilize your company branding, and are consistent across all platforms.
- Optimize Keywords – Using tools like Google’s Keyword Planner can help you make sure you are incorporating relevant and valuable keywords in your bio, posts, hashtags, and descriptions.
- Use Quality Images & Alt Text – When posting video and photo content it can help boost your search visibility to use relevant keywords in your file names and alt text. Your alt text is used to make visual content more accessible, but it also allows social media platforms to understand what your content is to better highlight it in relevant searches.
- Utilize Local SEO – If your company has physical locations it is beneficial to tag the location in your posts to make sure search engines and the social media platform recognize your content as relevant when people search for content from that location.
- Post Relevant Content – Not only is posting relevant and engaging content important for your overall social media presence but it can also be rewarded by search engines for sharing valuable, fresh content.
- Share Links – sharing links on your social media whether in the post itself or in your profile’s bio can help interconnect your profile and posts with your website and ultimately help boost search visibility for both.
These are strategies you can utilize across all platforms, but if you are interested in a breakdown of SEO optimizations on each platform check out this article by Hootsuite.